Friday, October 9, 2015

Do you have something like sandalwood?

I'm often asked for something 'like' sandalwood, or like 'incense' etc., and whilst we don't have anything that exactly fit the brief, just because a fragrance has 'sandalwood' in it, you'll more than likely find that fragrance will be too floral for your customers needs. Ask more about what they like, do they like other woody or resinous fragrances like frankincense? Do they like incense type smells? I am often asked for something like Nag Champa or Dragon's Blood - they are both woody and earthy with a sweetness but NOT floral. I have found that learning as much as you can about fragrance truly helps us understand our customers needs. There are some fantastic books out there on fragrance but I most highly recommend anything by Mandy Aftel. In the meantime I've gone through our current region 3 range to create a list of fragrances to offer those that ask for the above mentioned smells - it will be hit and miss because they all contain various components. Some are more herbal, others more aquatic and then a few with a more earthy base however they are the closest to what I have found my customers want and they always choose out of this list. It's also really quite handy to recommend something masculine without being too cologne like. I hope this helps :)
smile emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment